Friday, January 9, 2009

New Works: Figures

Derrick 20x16 Oil

Red Velvet 24x20 oil


Here are a few new figure paintings I have done lately. I truly enjoy painting from the live model. It is very challenging and exciting to try and capture something of the model and still try to make something artful.



Here are a couple of funny quotes from my favorite painter, John Singer Sargent, about portrait painting:


“A portrait is a painting with something wrong with the mouth.”


“Every time I paint a portrait I lose a friend.”


“I have now got a bombproof shelter into which I retire when I sniff the coming portrait or its trajectory.”



Years and years ago I used to do some commissioned portraits, and learned what Sargent is talking about. Now I do paintings of people and then someone can purchase the work whether it is the sitter or not.
To view more of my figure works click here: http://www.andrelucero.com/FigureGallery.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment